Sunday, July 12, 2009

Styx - The Musical (Act I)

Somehow, the idea to make a musical entered my head. I had bits and pieces floating around, but I finally was able to sketch out the basic story, as well as the songs I'd use. This is written in a play-like format, and the songs are embedded via Youtube. You'll have to use a bit of imagination for what all is happening during the songs, and it's all a bit campy and forced, but just go with it. The whole thing is more of a "lets just see if I can do it" kind of deal anyways. Inspired by the music of Styx.

Important Characters

Tommy – Works a desk job, best friends with James and Lawrence, and has been dating Lorelei since college.
James – Actor. Very fun, outgoing person, and somewhat of a womanizer.
Lawrence – Recently laid off from work, and has been fairly disillusioned with life lately.
Lorelei – Tommy's girlfriend, a model.
Kate – Another model the group meets partway through.

Act I

(The scene opens on Tommy, James, and Lawrence hanging out in Tommy's apartment)

James: "So Lawrence, any luck on the job front?"

Lawrence: "None man. There's nothing anywhere… It's kind of ridiculous."

Tommy: "I'm keeping my ears open at work for you. I'll let you know if I hear anything."

Lawrence: "Thanks man; means a lot. It's just frustrating. Unemployment checks barely cut it, and this can't last.

James: "You just gotta find somebody, look ‘em in the eyes, and tell them – ‘Give me a job. Give me security.'"

Lawrence, nodding: "Give me a chance to survive."

(The three sing "Blue Collar Man", falling back, silently into their chairs after the song)



Lawrence: "But enough about that; Tommy! How are things with you & Lorelei?"

Tommy: "Everything's great. Actually," he goes to a drawer and pulls something out, "she's going to be modeling in a pageant Friday night. She got us all tickets, if you guys want to go."
(James & Lawrence cast sideways glances at one another)

Lawrence: "Ehh, a pageant? Not sure about that one there Tom…"

Tommy (smiling): "Dude, it's a couple hours of beautiful models. And did I mention that there's an afterparty?"

James (laughing): "Afterparty? With hot girls? Hell, count me in!"

Lawrence: "Yeah, that sounds much better now!"



("Miss America" is performed by the models during the pageant, and the scene cuts between Tommy, James, and Lawrence sitting at the pageant, smiling and laughing, and the pageant itself. In particular, there are lots of pageant shots of Lorelei, and of Kate, another model.)



After the show, the guys meet up with Lorelei and some other models outside.

Tommy (hugging Lorelei): "Babe, you were great!"

Lorelei: "Thanks. So glad you all could come."

Lawrence: "It was a lot of fun. Thanks for inviting us."

James: "Yeah, it was good. You did great," (he then turns to Kate), "as did you. What's your name?"

Kate (smiling flirtingly at him): "Kate. And who might you be?"

James (with a bow): "Sir Jameson the Incredible. But you can call me James."

Lawrence (laughing and rolling his eyes): "Oh please. Can we get going before he starts making up more names?"

Lorelei: "Yeah, let's head to the party."

(All depart – end of Act I)

0 comments:

Post a Comment