Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Styx - The Musical (Act II)

The second act of my musical experiment. Had some trouble finding the videos on youtube, so I'm trying a different way of embedding them. If it doesn't work for you, then just fire up your media player and listen to them at the appropriate times. There's no excuse not to have them, in my opinion. Inspired by the music of Styx.
Act II

(Scene opens in a bar. Tommy and Lorelei are talking, James is flirting with Kate, and Lawrence is sitting at the end of the bar with a few other patrons.)

Lawrence (speaking aloud to those near): “Do you ever stop to wonder what it’s all about?”

James (to Kate): “Oh, there he goes. Get ready for some existential rant…”

Kate: “Does he always do this?”

Lorelei: “He’s been like this as long as I’ve known him; never seemed fully satisfied with life.”

Tommy: “Yeah, but it’s been worse since he lost his job.”

Lawrence (getting more animated): “… all just a rat race, you know? You get up, go to work, and come back, all for what? To make money? What are you going to spend it on, when you’re so busy working?”

James (loudly): “Lawrence! Buddy, come here. I think you’ve had a bit too much to –“

Lawrence (cutting him off): “It’s all just an illusion.” He climbs on a table, “A grand illusion!”

(Lawrence begins singing “Grand Illusion”, with other bar patrons providing backup singing and other parts. Tommy and Lorelei head outside near the end)



Lawrence: “Who the hell are we?”

James: “Ok, about time to get you home!” (whispers to Kate) “Care to come with me to drop him off?”

Kate (whispering seductively back): “I think that sounds like fun…”



(Tommy and Lorelei walking outside the bar, holding hands)

Tommy: “You know, if Lawrence is right –“

Lorelei (laughing): “Oh don’t you go starting on me too!”

Tommy: “Just hear me out, ok? I’m just saying, if Lawrence is right, if life is all just some illusion, well…”

(James and Kate emerge from the bar, supporting Lawrence)

James: “Tommy! We’re going to take Lawrence home. You need a ride too?”

Lorelei: “I can take him home, James.”

Tommy (to James): “You sure you ok to drive?”

James: “I’m fine, don’t worry. You two get home safe, ok?”

Tommy: “You too.”

(James, Kate, and Lawrence exit)

Lorelei: “So you were saying?”

Tommy: “Lorelei, if this is all just an illusion, I’m glad that I get to share it with you. I love you, Lorelei.”

(Music begins, and Tommy sings “Lady” and dances with Lorelei in the parking lot)









(Meanwhile, James has dropped off Lawrence, and is driving Kate back to his place. He reaches over to kiss her while driving, and loses control of the car. They skid off the road and hit a low wall, throwing Kate through the windshield. James, panicked, speeds off into the night.)

(End Act II)

0 comments:

Post a Comment